Selecting a contractor can feel like a daunting task. Sometimes a person doesn’t know where to start. Here are a few questions that can help make the process a bit easier:
Contact us to meet about your new home build or renovation project
- Who are the key people that will be working on the project? How long have they been with the company? What are their qualifications? Do they have trade tickets & certification?
- Does the company use the same sub trades for every project? A company that has an established relationship with their sub trades provides consistency and added reliability during a project.
- Do they require a contract? A contract that clarifies responsibilities and details related to the project is important for both parties.
- Do they take care of permits for each element of the project?
- How is billing handled? For example, do they have an hourly rate and how do they handle extras? This should all be covered in the contract.
- Are all of the workers covered with WCB? Is the company in good standing with WCB? Proof of this should be provided.
- Does the company carry liability insurance? How much? Proof of this should be provided.
- How much of a down payment is required upon signing the contract? 10% is a reasonable amount. If a company requests more than this, it could be a sign of cash flow problems, which can escalate into bigger problems such as unfinished work.
- What is the guarantee on material and workmanship?
- How do you handle warranty issues and who is responsible for dealing with them?
- Can the company provide references for both the company and the suppliers?
- Can the company provide samples of their work?